Skip to main content

'Babbling with Brookner': Interview Discovery

Val Hennessey's interview with Anita Brookner in You Magazine, 9 August 1987, marks the publication of Brookner's seventh novel A Friend from England. The piece, 'Babbling with Brookner', anticipates Julian Barnes's warning to a later interviewer: 'You will find yourself babbling'.

Hennessey is a fan, Brookner her 'literary heroine'. She once bumped into Brookner outside Waitrose and said embarrassing fannish things. Brookner 'stood shifting uneasily from foot to foot, wide-eyed and fearful, like a trapped hare'. Later they met by chance on a number 14 bus. Both Brookner and Hennessey were shopping for outfits, Brookner for 'something tweedy and dull': she gets off and is seen heading into The Scotch House, a purveyor of quality Scottish clothing.

Hennessey phones Brookner to arrange an interview. Brookner expresses alarm and consternation: she finds interviews 'an ordeal'.

On arrival Hennessey compliments Brookner on her flat.

Brookner counters, 'Oh it's too small. Only one bedroom. I long for another room. My dream would be to have a large house, full of family which I haven't got, and lots of children, and if I had that I'd never have written a single word.'

She talks of Hotel du Lac and the mixed blessings of a Booker win. 'Hotel du Lac was an unpopular choice; a lot of people let me know that - oh yes - it was very hurtful ... So I've been very cautious since then. I've made myself obscure.'

She smokes 'thoughtfully' as she speaks. The smoking is neither commended nor censured. Adverts for cigarettes are found liberally through the magazine.

She speaks of her imminent retirement from teaching. 'I might get another job. I might try charity work. I might do more writing. I hope so, but with twice as much time I'll probably do half as much work. I'd rather like to do a paper round.'

She defends herself against the charge that her novels are autobiographical. 'I'm energetic, happy, not at all the miserable woman I've been made out to be ... I do live alone. I would say that I am not gregarious, that I receive more invitations than I accept, but it is largely because I am pretty tired in the evenings. The so-called "Brookner woman" has been exaggerated. The one things all my characters have in common is that they are inexperienced in the ways of the world: I am certainly not.'

Each book, we are told, takes her six months to write, after which she celebrates with a long walk and usually succumbs to a virus.

'All my books are impossibly romantic. And if I have an overriding theme in my novels it is innocence and what brings it down. The interesting thing is that everyone loses innocence in a different way. It's nothing to do with sex, it's to do with morals. It's knowing whether or not to take a step which you feel is ill-advised, or even wrong.

'You know, I'm finding this interview worse than a tutorial...' Brookner complains, and the tension in the room is, for Hennessey, 'almost palpable'. She breaks the pause by telling Brookner she looks younger, smaller, softer than in her photographs. Brookner smiles. 'Good. I'm doomed to look terrible in photographs. But I was plainer as a young girl, very plain. I could never have got by on looks. I've always envied women whose appearance did the work for them.'

Hennessey takes with her a photographer of her own, an up-and-coming Alistair Morrison, who captures a nervous-looking Brookner at her table and in a mirror, both characteristic poses. The flat's decor is familiar from other photo sessions: the peace lilies, the bookshelves, the mirror, the print on the wall.

Notes

* The You Magazine was and is the colour supplement of the Mail on Sunday, a popular British newspaper, middlebrow, middle class and right-leaning. The magazine is aimed at female readers.

* Val Hennessey is still an active reviewer with the Mail.

* In the 1990s Brookner purchased another flat in her block, in fact right next door. She set it up as a base for writing, furnishing it sparsely with a day-bed and a phone no one knew the number of.

* Visible titles on Brookner's shelves: a book of aphorisms, and books called Mental Powers and Tour de France. Many of the books appear to be classics in French, probably Balzac, Flaubert and the like, in cheap editions from the 1950s and 60s.

* The artwork on Brookner's wall is an antique engraving called ‘La Marchande de Coco’, drawn by Carle Vernet and engraved by Philibert Louis Debucourt around 1810-1820. It depicts a tender scene from Parisian street life during the First Empire, showing a female vendor offering a herbal drink to a decorated Napoleonic soldier.

* Hennessey depicts Brookner as a 'trapped hare', an echo of the famous lines in Hotel du Lac. Brookner is, though trapped, the hare, not the tortoise.

* Waitrose, an upmarket British supermarket, features in other interviews. 1994, Independent: 'I'm a suburban matron now - I do nothing else but go to Peter Jones and Waitrose, or sit here reading. It's very easy to interrupt me.'

* Brookner's retirement plans are either truthful or an artful dodge. We'll never know how seriously she took her second career as a writer of novels. At this stage she was only a third of the way through her output. Did she really see the thing so lightly?

* The reference to charity work is interesting. We know Brookner left a legacy to the charity Doctors Without Borders, and that she would sometimes spend her Christmas Day in work with the needy.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Ten Brookner

The much-loved Backlisted podcast ( here ) returns with a 'lockdown' episode that includes a lot of Anita Brookner talk. Prompted by discussion about  Hotel du Lac , never the most representative Brookner, the chat meanders pleasantly on to the potential for compiling an Anita Brookner 'Top Ten'. At a loose end myself, though this week at the chalkface entertaining the children of keyworkers, I considered the question myself. I'm sure there are similar such lists elsewhere on this blog - I forget, and I don't particularly want to consult them anyhow. Of course, Brookner - like Henry James, like Trollope, indeed like many prolific authors - passed through phases. Brookner's novels, I contend, fall into three, neatly divided by the decades she wrote in: the raw, vital 80s; the settled magisterial 90s; the bleak, experimental 2000s. A Brookner novel from the 80s seems very different from any of her final works - just as 'James I', 'James II' ...

A Thing to Live up to

‘Brookner’ was a thing to live up to, even for Anita Brookner, a formal elegance, a field of intelligence, which conditioned both her life and her art. An long, extraordinary review from Andrew O'Hagan in the LRB - see here . O'Hagan is the author of the very fine Caledonian Road , and on the BBC Radio 4 show Take Four Books he cited The Princess Casamassima as an influence. Brookner would have approved.

'Proustian in scope'

...now her account is closed the novels may be seen for what they are: a literary chronicle of life's journey from middle to old age... If this sounds unexpectedly Proustian in scope, it shows how ill-served she was by her detractors and the orthodoxies of the sales cycle. Andy Miller's review of the Brookner biography in this week's Spectator is the one I've been waiting for. It's no exaggeration to credit dedicated readers such as Andy Miller with the reassessment of Brookner's literary reputation in the decade since her death. I'd suggest it's the tireless curatorial and promotional work of Miller and other influential fans that permitted a biographer of Hermione Lee's stature to consider adding Anita Brookner to her list of illustrious subjects. Authors usually take a posthumous dip in popularity and visibility; some never recover. It took Henry James more than half a century to find his readership. That Brookner is now being taken so seriously,...

Brookner Biography Announced

A brief post to let Brooknerians know the moment has arrived: a biography commissioned by Chatto & Windus, to be written by Hermione Lee. Hermione Lee interviewed Brookner on television in the 80s. Brookner joins illustrious company. Lee has lifed, among others, Virginia Woolf and Edith Wharton.

Secretive as a Heron

It is hardly surprising that even such an eminent life-writer as Lee might wonder whether Brookner would have given this book her blessing. Brookner was as secretive as a heron. The fine mystery of the writer, to quote Dickens on Shakespeare, must surely be left undisturbed. ー From an excellent review ( here ) by Laura Cumming in the Observer of Hermione Lee's forthcoming biography.

Christopher Hampton's Hotel du Lac

However often I watch it, I'm always surprised. A film of an Anita Brookner novel seems as outlandish as an adaptation of, say, late James. But The Golden Bowl and, more skilfully, The Wings of the Dove have been successfully translated to the screen in recent decades. Their plots, though, underneath the verbiage, are very simple, even sensational. Hotel du Lac , similarly, is one of Brookner's more structured, plotted works. Rights to the novel were bought before its Booker success. Initially Anita Brookner had been approached to write an original screenplay, but she said she wouldn't know how to. Instead she offered the soon-to-be published  Hotel du Lac . (This is revealed in the 2002 commentary that accompanies the DVD of the 1986 TV film. The commentary is a dull, low-powered affair. No Brookner, of course.) Anna Massey plays Edith. I've often found Massey a distractingly distinctive actor. Like Judi Dench she manages somehow, in any role, alwa...

Further Soundings #2

In a post a while back ( here ), I recalled pitching unsuccessfully a volume of Brookner's essays... *** Anita Brookner Mme de Blazac and I: Memoirs, Essays and Reviews 1981-2011 1.      ‘Mme de Blazac’, memoir, LRB , 19 June 1997 2.      On Abel Gance’s film Napoleon, film review, LRB , 16 April 1981 3.      ‘The Bibliotheque Nationale’, essay/memoir, TLS , 5 October 1984 4.      ‘The People and the Place’, review of Parisians by Graham Robb, Spectator , 10 April 2010 5.      ‘Repose is Taboo’d by Anxiety’, review of Migraine by Oliver Sacks, Spectator , 23 October 1993 6.      ‘Even Less Fiction than Stranger ’, review of Le Premier Homme by Albert Camus, Spectator , 14 May 1994 7.      ‘The Master of the Indirect’, review of Henry James: Collected Stories , Spectator , 11 Dec 1999 8.      ‘Sexual Tour...

Montagu Mansions

Series 5 of the BBC's A House through Time,  available on the iPlayer in the UK, features Montagu Mansions, home to Claire Pitt in Undue Influence. The first UK edition of the novel shows the location on the cover.

A Fraudulent Encounter

I met Anita Brookner only once. I was in a London street with my French friend Marie Delemotte. It was August 1992, and I was nineteen. Marie was much older - ours was a cross-generational friendship - and when I excitedly told her the identity of the rather elderly-looking woman tottering towards us on the pavement, my friend, unimpressed, said, with what I probably would have called Gallic insouciance, 'Oh, go to her! Why not?' But my heart was thumping. Here was my heroine, my favourite author - here in a London street, at two o'clock on a summer's afternoon - here, in the flesh, or the somewhat exiguous flesh, for the woman approaching us was very thin and seemed frail. She walked with a stick. But Brookner would only have been in her sixties in 1992, and was to live another twenty years and more. She wore a white blouse, a white skirt and a red blazer with large shoulders. Her hair, bright auburn, looked newly coiffed. The street was Elm Park Gardens, Brookner...